I create effective and engaging copy for magazines, websites, and businesses with vision. I'm also a bit of a freak of nature among my fellow writers, because I'm a people person and am known for my enthusiasm and sense of humor. Making people feel welcome and at ease really comes in handy as a writer who interviews people for publications.
A former attorney, I've written for major magazines and websites, covering parenting, family travel, lifestyle, law, business, and other subjects for nearly 15 years. In my career, I've profiled criminal defense attorneys and winter cyclists, sampled organic ice cream, and ridden a Segway around the Kansas City Zoo, but my favorite assignment was dogsledding with my family in the wilds of northern Minnesota for a national parenting magazine.
I've also mentored creative professionals, hosted retreats, founded a popular social media summit that ran for six years in Chicago, and developed the Going Deep Writing Workshop series. (I currently mentor writing and creative business clients on a limited basis; read more about that here.)
If you'd like to talk about how I can help you, click here.
A brief personal bio: I’m married to a great guy who makes me laugh every day, and we are raising three sons together in beautiful Loveland, Colorado. I’m also guardian to my brother, who has Down Syndrome and currently lives with us, along with our two pet birds. This means that everyone in my house is male besides me. We love exploring our new home state and playing board games together.
- A former go-to family travel writer for Family Fun Magazine and Disney's Family.com.
- Co-host of the Serious Business Podcast with my friend, Mike Morrow.
- Founded a popular social media summit based in Chicago for people who use Twitter to tell jokes.
- Developed and hosted a ridiculously fun weekend retreat for creative professionals.
- Wrote parenting columns for two different publications.
- Got to interview Les Stroud, aka Survivorman, for a feature in Parents Magazine.
- Favorite assignment: Dogsledding in Ely, Minnesota with my family.
- Powered by: Coffee and enchilada sauce (not usually at the same time).
Portrait by Nancy Merkling Photography
Logo Design by Jackson McLellan